Mind – Weekend at last! All the girls thought they would escape the ridicule, not so fast. Yoga is up ladies… Oh wait, yoga is not just for the ladies. Let me tell you a funny story about how I became introduced to yoga. I am standing in the Luke officers club on a Friday evening having a few beers with my squadron. Over in the corner were three “Crusty Colonels” laughing and drinking scotch, a standard give away to being “Old Dudes.” Anyway, these guys were getting re-qualified in my squadron going through the Q-course before taking command of various wings and groups throughout the combat air force. Being “Old Dudes” they love to give shit to the whipper-snappers, i.e. me. I ramble over to see if they were getting the training they needed in my squadron, and one of them asked me if I wanted to play golf with them that weekend, “Sure why not.” I responded. Then the next O-6 chimed in with a smirk and a chuckle, “You want to go do some hot yoga as well?” As they knew my response would be, “Are you kidding, yoga is for sissies!” The setup and takedown was complete as they all began to roar with delight. Little did I know my new wing CC was one of the “Old Dudes” and a huge hot yoga fan. For the next year my new wing CC and I gave each other shit about golf and yoga. Although I was already a fitness fan, he got me to enjoy Crossfit as well. I finally decided to buckle and give hot yoga a try just so I could get him off my case. If you have never tried hot yoga…it is most definitely not for sissies. It was all I could do not to leave the room a melted heap of heat stroked goo. So to all the lady ass kickers out there, I salute you, but remember just like the guys showing off with the weights, it is also showing off to bend yourself like a pocket knife in the wrong direction.
Body – Power
Learning to Power Clean, 30 minutes of basics of hang power clean, start with a PVC pipe and move to a 45 lbs bar
5 rounds of
5 hanging squat clean, 45 lb bar
10 ankles to bar
5 rounds for time
10 hanging squat clean, 95 lb bar
20 ankles to bar
Weapons Instructor Course
“Your Mamma Called” – Courtesy of the Horsemen
1) 15,14,13,12,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,2,1 reps of
95 lb hanging squat clean
2) 3 rounds of
10 Kettle Bell Swings
10 back extensions
Recipe of the Day
Saucy Steak and Onion Hoagies
2 strip steaks, about 1 lb
1 large sweet onion, sliced in rings
1 red bell pepper, cored and seeded
8 oz/small box of white mushrooms
2 Tbsn EVOO
1 tsp oregano
1 Tbsp Tom Douglas Rub with Love Steak Rub
2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp sriracha sauce
4 ciabatta rolls, I like the take and bake variety.
12 oz sliced provolone cheese
1. Wash produce. Slice onions, peel and core peppers. Pat steaks dry and salt and pepper each side.
2. Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. Cook ciabatta roll until almost done, about 3-4 minutes. Then remove and set aside divided into 4 pieces, sliced for sandwhiches.
3. Heat 1 Tbsp EVOO in large cast iron skillet medium to high heat, sear steaks until well browned, about 5 minutes per side. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes while cooking onions.
4. Add 1 Tbsp of EVOO to skillet again, add onions, bell peppers, and salt, cook until translucent and starting to brown, 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for another 3-4 minutes. While cooking slice the steaks against the grain into thin slices on a diagonal.
5. Add the slices back to the skillet, add the oregano, Steak rub, worchstershire, and sriracha. On high heat, stir and combine to coat everything and heat steak again.
6. Turn off the heat and spoon steak, onions, mushroom and pepper mixture into the ciabatta rolls. Put a piece of provolone one the top. Place in oven and melt cheese, about 1 minute. Serve.